Datum: 20-10-17  Time: 17:58 Nachmittag

Autor Thema: Joseph Bartz über Parkour Parks  (Gelesen 2206 mal)

LukeMM

• Parkour Hannover
    • Profil anzeigen
    • Parkour ONE
Joseph Bartz über Parkour Parks
« am: Oktober 23, 2013, 11:25:12 Nachmittag »
Alright this is sort of a collection of thoughts about current changes in the Parkour/Freerunning world. Although I am very connected to this community, I do not really see myself as a "Parkour Guy" or "Traceur" or whatever (I used to do this), but as someone practicing Parkour, same as I practice in Ido's Method, Climbing, Olympic Weightlifting, MovNat etc. Nonetheless Parkour is what lighted the fire of my movement journey and is a very important part of myself.

First of all I like to share a wonderful and important Video from one of the most influential Filmmakers in the Parkourscene Julie Angel:
The Parkour Architect | Flow Exclusive
 I have huge respect for Mikkel Rugaard, the Architect in the Video, and his reflected view on Parkour Parks and Facilities. There needs to be more people like him with the ability to wisely reflect on their own actions and their work.
 Parkour Parks, similar to Competitions, are a huge philosophical topic in the Parkourscene and there will be always many different opinions about them.
 As the Parks are a very new phenomenon, the actions taken by people like Mikkel Rugaard will have a huge impact on Parkour/Freerunning in the next years, and every human involved in this process needs to be carefully reflect and think about what they are doing. This is a huge responsibility. Same as every gym or group that starts a Parkour Competition needs to very carefully reflect about it and acknowledge the responsibility they have, as they will impact the whole Parkourcommunity.
 Quoting Slavoj Žižek: "We need to think more, and act less"
 A potential Problem with Parkour Parks will always be the domestication of Parkour.
 Do Parkour Parks create more acceptance in the general public for the practice? Is this acceptance also translating to the classical training in the city? Or will it increase the already existing numbers of "Parkour prohibited"-signs and practitioners will be told to go to the nearest Parkour Park?
 Questions we have to ask ourselves.

Let's have a look at what happened to climbing, although my understanding of the history of climbing is limited, I can see the following things happening:
 Both the rising of sports-climbing and of climbing gyms made climbing much more accessible for beginners and climbing gyms especially gave practitioners more possibilities to train.
 But as everything has, also they have their price, as pieces of the practice will be lost. Especially when we look at climbing gyms, they lack the complexity of the outdoor environment big time, which means climbing outdoors is harder. So for climbers who are actually climbing outdoors we can think about the climbing gym as a mere training tool, a very good one though. Same as lifting 100kg in the Barbell Deadlift doesn't mean we can lift a 100kg unconscious body from the ground, but our potential to do it is much higher, than without the Barbell Deadlift training.
 Alright now with rise of the gyms in big citys, far from actual rocks, we can assume that quite a few of the people going into a climbing gym are actually not climbing outdoors on real surfaces and might never do. So what for the classical climber is more a training tool, because he lives in the city, because it's winter or because he wants to work on certain weaknesses etc. is the top of the practice for this "newschool" climber.
 I think everyone now will agree, that parts of the practice of climbing are lost, if you are not going to climb outdoors on real surfaces. This doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. But we should at least be aware of it.
 The climbing gyms made climbing more accessible, and many of the people who are now just training in gyms and never on real surfaces (the type of people that might be despised by the oldschool climbers) might have never started to do any climbing, without the rising of the gyms.
 With the Parkour Parks and Gyms the same things might happen to Parkour/Freerunning. The original practice will be "diluted", a term coined by Chris "Blane" Rowat, but it becomes more accessible.
 Now practitioners in gyms and parks will train on structures that are limited by human imagination (and in regard of the climbing gym, the limitations to build something resembling the natural environment). Can our imagination create similar complex scenarios as nature?
 In regard of Parkour we could see the human being as nature, as Parkour is mainly practiced in an urban environment, planned by humans. But the important difference here to the Parks or Gyms is, that the structures we use, are actually not made with the intention to make people move. Therefore we not only adapt to the environment, but we reinterpret it. A Parkour-Park is without question closer to "nature" (means: the urban environment that is not made with the intention of doing Parkour), than a climbing gym is to the natural setting of climbing, especially when we are not able to change things around.
 In a gym setting we might just change around the scaffolding, walls etc. when we are bored.
 In a Parkour-Park, same as in classical training outside, over the years we will still find many new possibilities to move at the same structure, also because of "boredom" from the stuff we already did for the last years. Therefore our understanding and V I S I O N (in capitals, because it's such an important concept in Parkour) is trained.
 Mikkel has a wonderful point when he says, that he actually tries to create scenarios that are not existent in the "natural" environment. Why would we reproduce something that is already there? What a waste of imagination that would be.
 In terms of complexity and the artificial training environments: coming back to the climbing gym here. There is actually no need to reproduce the perfect natural environment inside, on the contrary we want to have something more simple than nature to make it more accessible for the people and give more advanced climbers the possibility to isolate certain problems. Same as when we want to learn a backflip, we go to a padded spring floor, to minimize risk. No need to have a gym with concrete floor etc. No need to build as second Lisses.
 With architects like Mikkel I think Parkour-Parks and Gyms will be an enrichment for the practitioners, especially when it comes to coaching.
 Still even with the most well thought about Park, there is a danger of the dilution of the original philosophy of the practice of Parkour & Freerunning. This might be good, bad, or it might actually not really matter.

When I think about it, I am remembered of a third big philosophical topic in Parkour, besides Parks/Gyms and Competitions. It's Coaching.
 Years ago, when ParkourONE started with the first professionally coached classes in Germany, I was part of the team, we had many discussions and thoughts to share if it's actually a good thing to provide any coaching for Parkour. I remember being very concerned about these classes and how it would be possible to deliver the spirit we experienced. As a lot of this spirit for us manifested in the trial & error practice and the freedom of exploring your own abilities at your own speed and the intrinsic motivated work on yourself. The simple reason for these thoughts were that none of us had been coached in Parkour, we had helped each other and worked together and we all had introduced beginners into how to practice, but this was something new. Many of us saw the difficulties that coached classes could produce in regard of this spirit. We were afraid of people practicing Parkour, but not actually practicing Parkour. Of people who are mere Zombies of Parkour instead of free spirits. And we always tried to prevent this and teach people about the spirit, that was and is so important for us.
 But again we have to look at it a bit more reflected than that, and what I think is happening now, is that the coached sessions all over the world are actually the place where the classical spirit of Parkour is preserved. Our concerns years ago have vanished, I believe that the coached sessions are extremely valuable and important, but back than our concerns and thoughts, before taking action, were needed, to preserve what we wanted to preserve.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Thanks to Julie Angel and Mikkel Rugaard for the Video.

Quelle: https://www.facebook.com/joseph.bartz/posts/10201423355284394
« Letzte Änderung: Oktober 23, 2013, 11:38:38 Nachmittag von LukeMM »